Damp is a common problem in homes and occurs where there is unwanted moisture in the house.
Damp, mould or condensation is usually visible on walls, ceilings, or floors. It can present itself in a variety of ways:
- White, black, blue or green stains
- Velvety, fuzzy or rough to touch or to look at
Mould is a type of fungus which grows on walls as a result of damp because it thrives in warm and moist environments.
What are the causes of damp?
There are a number of reasons why damp can appear in your home:
- leaky pipes or drains
- dislodged, broken or missing roof tiles
- moisture rising up through the foundations
- cracks in bricks
- porous bricks
A small patch of damp on a wall or ceiling might not seem like a problem and can often be ignored or painted over. Ignoring the problem does not solve it.
If left untreated, damp can cause many problems in your home. Not only will it look unsightly, but it can worsen pre-existing health conditions like asthma.
Learn more about the health risks of damp in your house.
What are the telltale signs of damp in your home?
There are a number of things that you can look out for:
- Dark stains on walls or ceilings
- Lifting, bubbling or peeling paint or wallpaper
- Condensation on windows
- Walls that feel very cold or damp
- A musty smell of damp in your home
- Rotting or lifting skirting boards
Eradicating damp can be a costly venture, so if you suspect a problem with damp in your home, then it is important to get it checked out by a professional as soon as possible. More.
Mild cases of damp can sometimes be treated by using DIY and home remedies.
Is moisture in your home causing bigger problems?
As well as posing some threats to your own health and safety, damp has other bigger risks and problems.
Damp and pest or insect infestations often come hand in hand.
Ants, silverfish, and rodents are attracted to moist and warm environments, so if your internal or external walls are presenting signs of moisture and damp, then you may also want to check for signs of infestation.
Signs of ant infestation:
- Ants present in your home
- Pathways of ants
- Small piles of dust or dirt
Signs of silverfish infestation:
- Silverfish droppings
- Shed skins or yellowish stains
- Damage to clothing and wallpaper
- Teardrop-shaped insects that are a blueish-silver colour
Signs of rodent infestation:
- Rodent droppings
- Grease marks along walls or floors
- Scratching noises
- Foul smells under floorboards
- Spotting mice or rats
How can I solve a pest problem?
The best way to solve a rodent or insect infestation is to seek the help of pest control professionals. Trained exterminators for all kinds of infestation will use non-harmful chemicals and dispose of any waste cleanly and safely.