At a time when energy prices are rising and there is increasing concern about conserving fossil fuels, a well insulated home can both save you money and help protect the environment. It’s a cost efficient way of investing in your home longer term and saving money in the short term. At A&D Properties we offer a full range of home energy efficiency services, including cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, solar energy, and under-floor heating. Here are some of the key things you need to know about insulating your home.
What kinds of insulation are there?
There are a number of different ways you can insulate your home:
- Solid wall insulation (either inside or outside), if you have solid walls with no cavity
- Cavity wall insulation – involves filling the gap or cavity between the interior and exterior wall with insulation
- Loft insulation – involves filling parts of your loft space with an insulating material. There are several types of loft insulation, including blanket, sheet, loose fill and blown fibre, and insulation is available in a range of materials from glass fibre to natural wool. Your choice of insulation should be based on your personal circumstances and your individual property. We can provide expert advice on the best kind of insulation for you.
- Draught exclusion – fitting draught excluders to areas where cold air might enter your home
- Glazing – double-glazed windows trap air between the layers of glass to provide protection against the cold.
- Tank and pipe insulation – can keep heat in your water system and help prevent frozen or burst pipes during the winter months.
How much money will I save?
The amount of money you can save varies from property to property and will depend on the type of insulation you use, but the Energy Saving Trust estimates that most people save around £145 a year by installing loft insulation, and a further £110* by installing cavity wall insulation. This means that it will pay for itself quickly and you’ll start making real savings.
Are there grants available?
There may be financial support available to help you insulate your home. The schemes available to you will depend on a number of factors including the location and type of home you live in, and your personal circumstances, We can provide detailed advice and help with gaining any available grants or other funding for your home insulation – just give our team a call on 0800 328 2015.
Will it add value to my home?
Anyone selling their home must now provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), which tells the buyer how energy efficient the property is. So, a well insulated home will be more attractive to buyers and can add value to your home.